Knitting mojo?

Knitting was my first.

Actually, that's not true. Crochet was. 

But knitting was my first fiber arts love. It let me to the prolific knitting blogs of the early aughts, to their aspirational WIP's turned finished projects. I wanted a collection of hand knits so badly. When I lived in Brooklyn and Massachusetts, all that wool made sense. But then I moved back to California, and suddenly I didn't need those hats and scarves and mittens. My knitting activity tapered off. 

And then I discovered sewing. Faster than knitting, more suited to a warm climate, and equally fiddly. I never really warmed up to cotton yarn, but the options in cotton fabric won me over. Now I am borderline obsessed with sewing. I'm always thinking about the project I'm working on, or what to work on next; and I'm always acquiring more sewing patterns, as if I'll eventually have time to get to them all. (HAH!)

But this post isn't about sewing, it's about knitting. I think it's about time I picked up the needles again, and this article from Twist Collective fall 2016 let me know that I am not alone. I have lost my knitting mojo, and I want it back.

It's been in the background of my mind for a few years. Knitting. I've started a a few projects, and finished even fewer, but it creeps into my thoughts. It's when I'm at a store and I think "I could knit that," or when I am watching Luke Cage for hours on end and I wish I had something for my hands to do. When I put it that way, it doesn't sound like very much fun. It's interesting, but I don't even sew because I find it "fun." I am fascinated by fabric construction, and I love to see how the stitches nestle into each other so neatly. It's an odd kind of thrill I get when I stop to look at that, and I guess that's why I love it. 

Thinking back to what drove me 10 years ago to knit, it was all the pretty finished projects in scrumptious (yes, scrumptious) yarn. I used to love cables and rich textures. I'm sure I can figure our a way to make these work for my warm climate.

... 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment